ASP.NET developer will be wondering why we need ASP.NET Core. You will learn about this in this tutorial.
Introduction: ASP.NET Core is a web framework from Microsoft for web applications, APIs and microservices. It uses common pattern like MVC, dependency injection and request pipeline. It is not new version of ASP.NET 4.6. It is rewritten from scratch. ASP.NET Core is open source cross-platform web framework which can run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
Features of ASP.NET Core:
- Combine Features of MVC and WebAPI
- Run on .NET Core or .NET Framework.
- Open Source Web Framework
- Modular Framework
- Distributed as NuGet package.
- Design to deploy on cloud and on-premises.
- Fast and Lightweight Web Framework
ASP.NET Core Vs .NET Core:
ASP.NET Core and .NET Core both looks same but both are different. .NET Core is fast, lightweight and open source framework which support web development using ASP.NET Core. .NET Core uses core features of .NET Framework. .NET Core is framework like .NET Framework but ASP.NET Core is used for developing web application.
Why ASP.NET Core?:
- Cross-platform support: Application developed in ASP.NET Core can run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
- Open-source: It is open-source and community focused. It is available as NuGet package.
- Client-side framework support: It supports AngularJS, ReactJS, Bootstrap etc.
- Multi-Platform Hosting: ASP.NET Core web application can be hosted on multi platforms with any web server like IIS, Apache, Nginx, Docker etc.
- Security: ASP.NET Core is built to be secure and it handles cross-site request forgery attack.
Development Environment Setup:
Following must be installed to develop ASP.NET Core application.
- .NET Core SDK
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
You will learn how to develop ASP.NET Core application in next post.
Thanks for reading.
Please provide your comment and suggestion